Civil Services Preliminary Exam Paper
1. What are Tektites ?
(a) Glassy meteorites
(b) Sedimentary rocks
(c) Igneous rocks
(d) Tectonically deformed rocks
2. Which'one of the following pairs makes the bulk composition of the sun ?
(a) Hydrogen and hydrogen
(b) Hydrogen and helium
(c) Hydrogen and argon
(d) Helium and argon
3. Which one of the following minerals can be used for determining the age of the Vindhyan sandstone ?
(a) Pitch blende
4. Which one of the following is related to the development of rugged topography of midoceanic ridges ?
(a) Fast spreading rate
(b) Intermediate spreading rate
(c) Slow spreading rate
(d) Uncertain spreading rate
5. Which one of the following is the correct sequence of events in the Wilsonian cycle ?
(a) Breakup of continents - Seafloor spreading - Subduction collision
(b) Seafloor spreading - Breakup of continents - Subduction collision
(c) Breakup of continents - Subduction collision - Seafloor spreading
(d) Subduction collision - Seafloor spreading - Breakup of continents
6. Who proposed that the convection currents in asthenosphere cause the lithospheric plate movement?
(a) Arthur Holmes
(b) Tuzo Wilson
(c) M. P. Billings
(d) D. N. Wadia
7. What is the flow pattern of a river - system that resembles the tree branches ?
(a) Trellis pattern
(b) Dendritic pattern
8. Which of the following types of rivers receive their discharge from the ground-water of the area ?
(a) Effluent rivers
(b) Intermittent rivers
(c) Perennial rivers
(d) Influent rivers
9. Which of the following agents form Roches moutonees ?
10. Which one of the following processes results in development of an oasis ?
(a) By the filling in of a depression by water
(b) By - the meteoric fall causing a depression on the ground
(c) By wind erosion down to water level in a desert
(d) When an advancing glacier terminates
11. Which one of the following is a primary structure ?
(a) Joint plane
(b) Fault plane
(c) Bedding plane
(d) Cleavage plane
12. A set of horizontal beds overlie another set of horizontal beds separated by an irregular unconformity surface. What is the type of unconformity ?
(c) Angular unconformity
13. Which one of the following folds is characterized by a constant orthogonal thickness in all the parts of the fold ?
(a) Similar fold
(b) Parallel fold
(c) Flow fold
(d) Shear fold
14. Which one of the following term describes the joints that are perpendicular to the regional fold axis ?
(b) Columnar joints
(c) Hybrid joints
15. Which one of the following represents a curved fault plane that dips gently in depth and becomes steeper nearer to the surface ?
(a) Rotational fault
(b) Reverse fault
(c) Listric fault
(d) Hinge fault
16. Which one of the following is correct while taking bearing of an object with a clinometer compass ?
(a) Pointing N end of the magnetic needle towards the object
(b) Pointing N marked by the crown on the dial of the compass towards the object
(c) Pointing S end of the needle towards the object
(d) Pointing E or W marked on the dial towards the object
17. The stereographic projection of poles to bedding surfaces is found to lie on a common great circle. Which one of the following is the correct interpretation of .the structure ?
18. Which of the following ions occupy the octahedral sites in spinel ?
(a) Monovalent ion
(b) Bivalent ion
(c) Trivalent ion
(d) Tetravalent ion
19. Which of the following symmetry elements characterize pyrite crystal ?
(a) One six fold axis
(b) Two four fold axes
(c) Three two fold axes
(d) Four two fold axes
20. Which of the following crystals have basal pinnacoid as a form ?
Select the correct answer from the code given below :
(a) I and 2 only
(b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 3 and 4 only
(d) 2, 3 and 4
21. Which of the following form is characterized by three or more nonparallel faces intersecting at a common point ?
22. Which one of the following minerals shows strong pleochroism ?
23. Which of the following types of extinction will be exhibited by the basal section of a monoclinic mineral under microscope ?
24. Which- one of the following minerals shows parallel extinction ?
25. Which one of the following has highest refractive index ?
26. The isogyres would show which of the following position in case of large 2 V ?
(b)At right angles to each other
(c)Touching each other
27. In which of the following situation a biaxial mineral is positive ?
(a)X is acute bisectrix
(b)Y is acute bisectrix
(c)Z is acute bisectrix
(d)Z is obtuse bisectrix
28. Which mineral occurs in small, hexagonal, colourless to white, plate-like crystals found in cavities of volcanic rocks ?
29. Which garnet contains Chromium ?
30. Which of the following mica mineral contains appreciable amounts of Li content ?
31. What is the correct term. to denote the separate Si04 groups, in which the tetrahedral are not linked directly to each other but are bound together by intervening cations ?
32. Which one of the following is not a phosphate mineral ?
33. Thorium, extracted from monazite, belongs to which one of the following groups ?
34. Which one of the following is the main Alumina ore mineral in East coast Bauxite deposit ?
(d) Altered sillimanite
35. Which types of rocks contain the Graphite deposits of Kalahandi, the Garnet deposits of Rajasthan and the Kyanite deposits of Singhbhum ?
(a) Igneous rocks
(b) Sedimentary rocks
(c) Metamorphic rocks
(d) Both Igneous and Sedimentary rocks