The Bihar Public Service Commission initially began its functioning for the State of Bihar with its headquarters at Ranchi. The State Government decided to shift the headquarters of the Commission from Ranchi to Patna and it was finally shifted to Patna on 1st March 1951.The first Chairman of the Bihar Public Service Commission was Shri Rajandhari Sinha. Shri Radha Krishna Choudhary was the first Secretary to the Commission.The Bihar Public Service Commission (Conditions of Service) Regulations, 1960 was framed by the State of Bihar in exercise of the powers conferred by Article 318 of the Constitution of India and in supersession of the Regulation published with the Appointment Department's notification no. A-2654 dated 31st March 1953. Under Rule 3 of the Regulations, 1960 the Commission was constituted with a Chairman and 10 (ten) other members. The strength of members was reduced to 6 (six) after bifurcation of the State of Bihar and the State of Jharkhand vide notification no. 7/PSC-1013/95 (Part-3) Per 8262 dated 9th October 2002 of the Personnel & Administrative Reforms Department, Bihar.