ontributor name: Pratik Sirohi
Company Name: TCS
Venue: M.M.M. Engineering College, Gorakhpur.
Placement Date: 24/01/2011.
First of all thanks a big thank to Freshersworld.com and to my friends Niraj Jaiswal, Ankita Roy, Shashank jain, Rohit kamal, saxena, Ashutosh singh, motu, Shravan, Vineet for supporting me in getting placed in TCS.
1) Written test
2) Technical cum HR interview.
Written test consists of 35 questions 80 mins, previously it is 60 mins but now time they increased 20 mins. It is a online test.
Preparation: Up to my knowledge questions for written test is always from previous papers.so try papers given by various users in freshersworld.com and prepare quantitative aptitude by R.S Aggarwal.
1) The age of ram and sam are in the ratio 5:6 and after 4 years their ratios are 7:8 then what is the present age of sam?
Ans: 12years (names and values may change)
2) There is a toy train that can make 10 musical sounds. It makes 2 musical sounds after being defective. What is the probability that same musical sound would be produced 5 times consecutively? (1 of )?
Ans: 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/32
3) Find (4x+2y)/ (4x-2y) if x/2y=2
4) Find average speed if a man travels at speed of 14kmph up and 26kmph down at an altitude of 200m. Formula is 2xy/(x+y)
5) In school there are some bicycles and 4wheeler wagons.one Tuesday there are 190 wheels in the campus. How many bicycles are there?
6) Six friends go to pizza corner there are 2 types of pizzas. And six different flavors are there they have to select 4 flavors from 16 flavors. In how many ways we can select?
7) 3, 15, x, 51, 53,159,161. Find X
8) 3 friends A, B, C went for week end party to McDonald’s restaurant and there they measure there weights in some order IN 7 rounds. A;B;C;AB;BC;AC;ABC. Final round measure is 155 kg then find the average weight of all the 7 rounds?
8. The cost of making robot is divided into cost of material, cost of repairing and cost of painting in the ratio of 5:2:3. The cost used for material is 200. Find the total cost of making the robot?
Ans: 400 (just calculate it).
10) (There was a long story, I'll cut short it). There are 5 materials to make a perfume: Lilac, Balsamic, Lemon, and Woody and MI mosaic. To make a perfume that is in demand the following conditions are to be followed: Lilac and Balsamic go together. Woody and MI mosaic go together; Woody and Balsamic never go together. Lemon can be added with any material. (Actually they had also mentioned how much amount of one can be added with how much quantity of the other; but that's not needed for the question.) All of the following combinations are possible to make a perfume except:
1) Balsamic and Lilac
2) Woody and Lemon
3) MI mosaic and Woody
4) MI mosaic and Lilac
11) A triangle is made from a rope. The sides of the triangle are A cm, B cm and C cm (I do not remember the numerical value). What will be the area of the square made from the same rope?
12) What is the distance of the z-intercept from the x-intercept in the equation ax+by+cz=d (I do not remember the values of a, b, c, d).
Ans: sqrt ((d/a) 2+ (d/c) 2)
13) A scientist in Antarctic region conducts research on bears came to know that bears changes according to the location .once he moves 1 mile towards north, then he moves 2 miles towards east, then 1 mile towards south. Now the color of bear he found will be in:
14) Two pipes A and B fill at A certain rate B is filled at 10,20,40,80,. If 1/16 of B if filled in 17 hours what time it will take to get completely filled
15) There are 11 boys in a family. Youngest child is a boy. What is the probability of all are boys?
a) 2 b) 2! C) 2048 d) 1024
16) A boy bought a roll A of 56 inches wide and 141 yards long. He also bought B of 77 inches wide of length 333yards. We don’t want any details of B. Some irrelevant matter. Final question is Time taken for cutting A into 1 yard piece is 2 seconds. Time taken to cut into 141 pieces of 1 yard each is?
Ans is 2(141) =242
17) A Person buys a horse for 15 ponds, after one year he sells it for 20 pounds. After one year, again he buys the same horse at 30 pounds and sells it for 40 pounds. What is the profit for that person?
Ans is 15 pounds
18) There are 1000 pillars for a temple. 3 friends Linda, Chelsey, Juli visited that temple. (Some unrelated stuff) Linda is taller than Chelsea and taller than 2 of 1000 pillars. Julia is shorter than Linda. Find the correct sentence?
a) Linda is shorter among them
b) Chelsea is taller than Julia
c) Chelsea is shorter than Julia
d) Cannot determine who is taller among Chelsea and Julia
19) In a family there are some boys and girls. All boys told that they are having equal no of brothers and sisters and girls told that they are having twice the no. of brothers than sisters. How many boys and girls present in a family?
Ans is 4 boys and 3 girls
20) There are certain number of hats and gloves in a box. They are of 41 red, 23 green, 11 orange. Power gone. But a woman can differentiate between hats and gloves.How many draws are required to obtain a pair of each color.
21) There is a die with 10 faces. It is not known that fair or not. 2 captains want to toss die for batting selection. What is the possible solution among the following?
a) If no. is odd it is head, if no. is even it is tail
b) If no. is odd it is tail, if no. is even it is head
c) Toss a die until all the 10 digits appear on top face. And if first no. in the sequence is odd then consider it as tail. If it is even consider it as head.
I didn’t remembered last option and I don’t know answer.
22) 2 years ago of A is x times that of B. 3 Years hence the age of A is 4/3 times of B. What is the present age of B in binary form?
I didn’t remember the exact values of x and y. You can solve easily.
23) Ram buys a cycle for 31 dollars and given a cheque of amount 35 dollars. Shop Keeper exchanged the cheque with his neighbor and gave change to Ram. After 2 days, it is known that cheque is bounced. Shop keeper paid the amount to his neighbor. The cost price of cycle is 19 dollars. What is the profit/loss for shop keeper?
Ans is 23(cost price + change given).
24) metal strip of width ‘x’ cm. 2 metal strips are placed one over the other, then the combine length of 2 strips is ‘y’. If ‘z’ strips are placed in that manner. What is the final width of that arrangement?
Ans is (z-1) (y-x) +x.
25) A game is played between 2 players and one player is declared as winner. All the winners from first round are played in second round. All the winners from second round are played in third round and so on. If 8 rounds are played to declare only one player as winner, how many players are played in first round
Ans is 28.
26) There are 3 boys A, B, C and 2 Girls D, E. D always sit right to A. Girls never sit in extreme positions and in the middle position. C always sits in the extreme positions. Who is sitting immediate right to E?
Ans is B or C
27) 49 members attended the party. In that 22 are males, 17 are females. The shake hands between males, females, male and female. Total 12 people given shake hands. How many such kinds of such shake hands are possible?
Ans is 12C2
29) Entry ticket to an exhibition ranges from 1p to 31p. You need to provide exact change at the counter. You have 31p coin. In how many parts will u divide 31p so that u will provide the exact change required and carry as less coins as possible?
a) 22 b) 31 c) 6 d) 32
Ans is 6
30) There are 2 friends Peter and Paul. Peter age is twice as old as Paul when peter was as old as Paul is now. Sum of the present ages of Peter and Paul is 35.What is the present age of Peter?
Ans is 20
31) A lady took out jacket and gloves, which are avialable in blue 16, yellow 40 and red 36. Power goes off, she can distinguish between gloves and jacket but not in colors. What's the possibilty their she will pick up pair of gloves of each color.
Ans : very easy.
32) Two bowls are taken, one contains water and another contains tea.one spoon of water is added to second bowl and mixed well, and a spoon of mixture is taken from second bowl and added to the second bowl. Which statement will hold good for the above?
(Ans: second liquid in first bowl is smaller than the first mixture in second bowl)
33) Rearrange and categorize the word ‘IGTRE’?
34) A lies on mon, tues, wed and speak truths on other days, B lies on Thurs, Fri, Sat and speaks truths on other days. One day a said I lied today and B said I too lied today. What is the day?
35) One grandfather has three grandchildren, two of their age difference is 3, eldest child age is 3 times youngest child’s age and eldest child’s age is two times of sum of other two children. What is the age of eldest child?
I attempted 32 questions exactly as i know the answers already... hahaha...Result was declared on the next day but i was pretty sure that my name will be announced in the list as my HR already told me that "i am done for the day and can go to hostel" :) thats the phrase that i'll always remember in my life.
I have to wait a whole one day for the results and finally TCS recruited 69 students from our college and i was one of them..yahoo!!!!!
Frankly speaking i spend hardly 5 min in technical round and answers all the questions correctly with confidence. My technical is more or less a combination of technical and HR.
Second round starts with a funny question that whether i have a girl friend or not..:) whether i drink or not etc. again my interview continue only for 2-3 min and i was told that i am selected and can go to the hostel and sleep.
Getting job in TCS is one of my great achievements in my life.
So do your home work well and keep faith in GOD.
All the best!
See you in TCS.