syntel Placement Paper
1. What is the smallest number by which 2880 must be divided in order to make it into a perfect square ?
(a) 3 (b) 4 (c) 5 (d) 6
2. A father is 30 years older than his son however he will be only thrice as old as the son after 5 years what is father's present age ?
(a) 40 yrs (b) 30 yrs (c) 50 yrs (d) none of these
3. An article sold at a profit of 20% if both the cost price and selling price would be Rs.20/- the profit would be 10% more. What is the cost price of that article?
4. If an item costs Rs.3 in '99 and Rs.203 in '00.What is the % increase in price?
(a) 200/3 % (b) 200/6 % (c) 100% (d) none of these
5. 5 men or 8 women do equal amount of work in a day. a job requires 3 men and 5 women to finish the job in 10 days how many woman are required to finish the job in 14 days.
a) 10 b) 7 c) 6 d) 12
6. A simple interest amount of rs 5000 for six month is rs 200. what is the anual rate of interest?
a) 10% b) 6% c) 8% d) 9%
7. In objective test a correct ans score 4 marks and on a wrong ans 2 marks are ---. a student score 480 marks from 150 question. how many ans were correct?
a) 120 b) 130 c) 110 d) 150
8. An artical sold at amount of 50% the net sale price is rs 425 .what is the list price of the artical?
a) 500 b) 488 c) 480 d) 510
9. A man leaves office daily at 7pm A driver with car comes from his home to pick him from office and bring back home.One day he gets free at 5:30 and instead of waiting for driver he starts walking towards home. In the way he meets the car and returns home on car He reaches home 20 minutes earlier than usual. In how much time does the man reach home usually??
(Ans. 1hr 20min)
10. A works thrice as much as B. If A takes 60 days less than B to do a work then find the number of days it would take to complete the work if both work together?
11. How many 1's are there in the binary form of 8*1024 + 3*64 + 3
12. In a digital circuit which was to implement (A B) + (A)XOR(B),the designer implements (A B) (A)XOR(B) What is the probability of error in it ?
13. A boy has Rs 2. He wins or loses Re 1 at a time If he wins he gets Re 1 and if he loses the game he loses Re 1.He can loose only 5 times. He is out of the game if he earns Rs 5.Find the number of ways in which this is possible?
14.If there are 1024*1280 pixels on a screen and each pixel can have around 16 million colors. Find the memory required for this?
15. . On a particular day A and B decide that they would either speak the truth or will lie. C asks A whether he is speaking truth or lying? He answers and B listens to what he said. C then asks B what A has said B says "A says that he is a liar" What is B speaking ?(a) Truth (b) Lie (c) Truth when A lies (d) Cannot be determined
16. What is the angle between the two hands of a clock when time is 8:30
17. A student is ranked 13th from right and 8th from left. How many students are there in totality ?
18. A man walks east and turns right and then from there to his left and then 45degrees to his right.In which direction did he go
(Ans. North west)
19. A student gets 70% in one subject, 80% in the other. To get an overall of 75% how much should get in third subject.
20. A man shows his friend a woman sitting in a park and says that she the daughter of my grandmother's only son.What is the relation between the two
21. How many squares with sides 1/2 inch long are needed to cover a rectangle that is 4 ft long and 6 ft wide
(a) 24 (b) 96 (c) 3456 (d) 13824 (e) 14266
22. If a=2/3b , b=2/3c, and c=2/3d what part of d is b/
(a) 8/27 (b) 4/9 (c) 2/3 (d) 75% (e) 4/3
23. 2598Successive discounts of 20% and 15% are equal to a single discount of
(a) 30% (b) 32% (c) 34% (d) 35% (e) 36
24. The petrol tank of an automobile can hold g liters.If a liters was removed when the tank was full, what part of the full tank was removed?
(a)g-a (b)g/a (c) a/g (d) (g-a)/a (e) (g-a)/g
25. If x/y=4 and y is not '0' what % of x is 2x-y
(a)150% (b)175% (c)200% (d)250%
The questions 26-31 are based on the following pattern.
The problems below contain a question and two statements giving certain data. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the questions.
The correct answer is:
(A) If statement (I) alone is sufficient but statement (II) alone is not sufficient.
(B) If statement (II) alone is sufficient but statement (I) alone is not sufficient.
(C) If both statements together are sufficient but neither of statements alone is sufficient.
(D) If both together are not sufficient.
26. What is John’s age?
(I) In 15 years John will be twice as old as Dias would be
(II) Dias was born 5 years ago
27. What is the distance from city A to city C in kms?
(I) City A is 90 kms from City B
(II) City B is 30 kms from City C
28.Is A=C ? A, B ,C are real numbers
(II) A-2C = C-2B
29. What is the 30th term of a given sequence ?
(I) The first two terms of the sequence are 1,1/2
(II) The common difference is -1/2
30.Was Avinash early, on time or late for work?
(I) He thought his watch was 10 minutes fast
(II) Actually his watch was 5 minutes slow
31. What is the value of A if A is an integer?
(I) A4 = 1
(II) A3 + 1 = 0
32. A person travels 12 km in the southward direction and then travels 5km to the right and then travels 15km toward the right and finally travels 5km towards the east, how far is he from his starting place?
(a) 5.5 kms
(b) 3 km
(c) 13 km
(d) 6.4 km
33. X’s father’s wife’s father’s granddaughter uncle will be related to X as
34. Find the next number in the series 1, 3 ,7 ,13 ,21 ,31
35. If in a certain code “RANGE” is coded as 12345 and “RANDOM” is coded as 123678. Then the code for the word
“MANGO” would be
36. If “PROMPT” is coded as QSPLOS ,then “PLAYER” should be
37. A person travels 6km towards west, then travels 5km towards north ,then finally travels
6km towards west. Where is he with respect to his starting position?
(a) 13km east
(b) 13km northeast
(c) 13km northwest
(d) 13km west
38. If A speaks the truth 80% of the times, B speaks the truth 60% of the times. What is the probability that they tell the
truth at the same time
39. Susan can type 10 pages in 5 minutes. Mary can type 5 pages in 10 minutes. Working together, how many pages can
they type in 30 minutes?
40. Six bells commence tolling together and toll at intervals 2,4,6,8,10 and 12 seconds respectively. In 30 minutes how
many times they toll together.
Direction 1-5 :
In each of the following questions, find out which part of the sentence has an error. if there is no mistake the answer is ‘no error’
1. Unless you stop to make noise at once,/ I will have no option but to / bring the matter to the attention of the police / No error
A B C D
2.The Minister along with his / party colleagues have / been invited to the party / No error
A B C D
3. A group of friends / want to visit/ the new plant as early as possible / No error
A B C D
4. It is rude / for the young / making fun of their elders/ No error
A B C D
Ans : C
5. Meerabai was sent away from her home/ because she spend most of the time/ in the company of holy men/ No error
A B C D
Ans : B
Directions 6-10 :
Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
6. Madan……………the first prize in this competition
A) bore up B) bore with C) bore out D) bore away
7. In large cities people are cut………………from nature.
A) down B) out C) off D) away
8. Your friend died……………over work
A) of B) from C) due to D) with
9. It is not easy to beat……………..a swarm of wasps if they attack you
A) out B) up C) down D) off
10. What a sensation it would cause if it……………………now discovered that such a man had left behind a diary.
A) is B) be C) was were
In each of the following questions, a sentence has been given in Active (or passive) voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested select the one which best express the same sentence in Passive (or Active) Voice.
11. Mona was writing a letter to her father.
A) A letter was written to her father by Mona
B) A letter has been written to her father by Mona
C) A letter was being written by Mona to her father
D) a letter was written by Mona to her father
12. He teaches us grammar
A) Grammar is taught to us by him
B) We are being taught Grammar by him
C) Grammar is being taught us by him
D) We are taught Grammar by him
The following questions, consist of two words each that have a certain relationship to each other, followed by four lettered pairs of words. Select the lettered pair that has the same relationship as the original pair of words.
13. Basement : Attic
A) Nadir : Zenith B) Zenith : Apex C) Zenith : Root D) Apex : Pinnacle
Ans : A
14. Sip : Gulp
A) Touch : Push B) Cup : Glass C) Tent : Hut D) Soap : Water
Ans : A
15. Parsing : Grammar
A) Running : Health B) Praying : God C) Para trooping : Air force D) Cleaning : House
Ans : C
“Boom in IT Industry”
"Is Mobile should be prohibited in school and colleges
“What is happening in Egypt and Kashmir?”
"Globalization of IT Companies to Government Sector"
Technical & HR interview:
Questions based on
C++, Java, .net, Linux OS, SQL, HTML, XML,etc….