The test consists of 4 sections
Total 48 questions
12Q - general computer knowledge
12Q - computer science (dbms,networks,os) concepts like questions on paging,
12Q - c/c++ questions
12Q - java questions
The question paper had 48 questions to be answered in 1hr.
Time will be quite sufficient. They have different sets(3) of question papers.
I had got the paper with serial number ending with ***- 02-2003.
I would like to request everyone who have attended the HP test to contribute the questions that they remember.
Some questions that i remember are..
1>General section : computer science general knowledge
2> Computer science general: simple questions
1) HP acquired this company in 2002. Which is the company
a)Compaq b)Dell c)option 3 d) Option4
2) what does 3G denote
a) 3rd generation mobile communication b) 3rd generation computer languages c) option 3 d) option4
3)an application program that is used by the users to get the information from the backend of some application like databases:
a) application server b) proxy server c) database server d) option 4
Ans: database server
4) which of the following is not true about the e-mail
a) it can be accessed by a client program using POP
b) it can be accessed by a client program using imap protocol
c) option 3 d) option 4
Ans: I don't remember the answer but first 2 are true.
5) Some question regarding the company and who developed it ( the thing to remember is that Apple produce Macintosh computers).
5) What is X.25?
a) option 1 b) option 2 c) option 3 d) option 4
Ans: find out??:-)
3> c/c++ section: questions on c/c++, programs o/p etc.
1) main( )
unsigned int i=3;
while( i >=0)
printf( "%d", i--);
how many times will the printf stmt be executed?
a)0 b)3 c)4 d)infinite
Ans: I think the answer is infinite, b'cos 'i' is an unsigned integer and it will not decrement below '0' and hence end up in an infinite loop.(yes, i checked and it is getting stuck in an infinite loop)
2) main( )
int x,y, z;
printf("%d %d %d", x, y z);
a)3 5 7 b)option 2 c)option 3 d)option 4
3) # define swap(a,b) temp=a; a=b; b=temp;
int i, j, temp;
if( i > j)
swap( i, j );
printf( "%d %d %d", i, j, temp);
Ans: On compiling i got ans 10, 0, 0. I did not understand the concept. Please expalin this to me.
4>Java section: questions on java related stuff.
1) Java was initially code named as:
a)Oak b)green c)miller d)option4
2) what is not true about the following statements about java.
a) it is compiled using javac compiler
b) the compiled files have .class extension.
c) such files cannot be transfered from one comp to another.
d) they use the java interpreter
3) Why is the synchronize used?
a) to initialize multiple objects b)to lock an object c)option3 d)option 4
Ans: b (probably)
some java qns
package java.lang; // Ans: <------------! Runtime gives error ( test it)
public static void main(String args)
static HPTest x;
public static void main(String args)
// below line not given
//x=new HPTest(); if not this line Null pointer exeception
System.out.println(" x=" + x );
A(int x,int y)
System.out.println(" x=" + x + " y =" + y);
public static void main(String args)
A a=new A(1);
A b=new A(2,3);
A c=new A();
Second Round: Interview
In the 2nd round, Hp employees( 2 or 3) will be interviewing us.The Q asked will vary form person to person.
They asked abt my latest projects first.They concentrated less on my academic proj.So plz prepare well abt the latest proj u did.
And then they asked fully in C,C++ like what is the diff b/w const char * and char const *.What is friend fns,virtual destructors,virtual constructors,
How will the compiler intrepret when a virtual class is declared and other basic stuff like calloc, malloc.
In java what is the default exception, Is there any priority for the exceptions, finally, heap concepts etc.
They havent asked any Q in N/wing and OS.
This is the stuff which i faced in my interview.Iam agian telling you...This varies from person to person.
But any way all the best for all u guys who got selected for the next round.Its very easy.Dont be in a hurry.Take ur own time.
Another advice,If u don't know the answer for any Q they asked,be frank.Dont try to bluff it becoz the next Q will depend upon the Q u answer previously.
The interview pattern will be as:
1. Tell abt your self.
2. They will ask for the subjects in which we are strong
( Here they will consider the ranking that we written during written
examination & marks we got in written exam)
3. Mostly the interview time will be 45 minutes around (for only people there is about 1.5 hr)
4. HR questions may include here
5. Good thing is They r friendly and cooperative so confidence place
If you don't know the answer better not to answer than to tell some bad stuff. For me 2 people interviewd. As I told them that I am strong in C they told me to write some programs like double linked list, singly
linked list(adding node at last),macros, const *,char *,pointer arrays.
The main question that they asked was how can u compile or execute 'c' program without editor. (Using TCC utility)
Coming 2 cpp only 1 question i.e what is polymorphism.
Java they asked me about protocol used in JSP, which layer does it
During personal introduction try to excell your capabilities by
giving examples like as fast learner, hard worker like..!
If you have any achievements & awards try 2 put them all during
The interviewers are very co-operative and highly friendly (so
confidence plays vital role)
WISHING U ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR SUCCESS
Make a note that Technical round is the main one.I think there wont
be any elimination at HR level unless luck unfavours us.
Added Experience is Definite Added Advantage.
In general section they r asking questions like Who is CEO ,founder of HP,Microsoft,Oracle..
some questions u will get from following list
1) Tim Berners Lee -- Founder of the World Wide Web
2) Bjarne Stroustrup, C++ Stroustrup called his new language 'C with Classes and then 'new C'.Because of which the original C began to be called 'old C' which was considered insulting to the C community. At this time Rick Mascitti suggested the name C++ as a successor to C.
3) Michael Dell of Dell Computers
4) Larry Ellison of Oracle Larry Ellison and Bob Oats were working on a
consulting project for the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). The code name for the project was called Oracle (the CIA saw this as the system to give answers to all questions or something such). The project was designed to help use the newly written SQL code by IBM. The project eventually was terminated but Larry and Bob decided to finish what they started and bring it to the world. They kept the name Oracle and created the RDBMS engine. Later they kept the same name for the company.
5) James Gosling,and his project is now known as Java Originally called Oak by creator James Gosling, from the tree that stood outside his window, the programming team had to look for a substitute as there was no other language with the same name. Java was selected from a list of suggestions. It came from the name of the coffee that the programmers drank.
6) Bill Hewlett(L) and Dave Packard(R) of HP. Behind them in the picture is
the famous HP Garage. Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard tossed a coin to decide
whether the company they founded would be called Hewlett-Packard or
7) Ken Thompson (L)and Dennis Ritchie(R) ,creators of UNIX, B and C Dennis Ritchie improved on the B programming language and called it 'New B'. He later called it C. B was created by Ken Thompson as a revision of the Bon programming language (named after his wife Bonnie)
8) Larry Page(L) and Sergey Brin(R),founders of Google. Google was
originally named 'Googol'. After founders (Stanford graduates) Sergey Brin and Larry Page presented their project to an angel investor, they received a cheque made out to 'Google' !
9) Gordon Moore(L) and Bob Noyce(R) ,founders of Intel Bob Noyce and Gordon Moore wanted to name their new company 'Moore Noyce' but that was already trademarked by a hotel chain, so they had to settle for an acronym of INTegrated ELectronics.
10) Andreas Bechtolsheim , Bill Joy, Scott Mc Nealy and Vinod Khosla of
SUN(StanfordUniversity Network) MicroSystems Founded by four
StanfordUniversity buddies, SUN is the acronym for Stanford University
Network. Andreas Bechtolsheim built a microcomputer; Vinod Khosla recruited him and Scott McNealy to manufacture computers based on it, and Bill Joy to develop a UNIX-based OS for the computer.
11) Linus Torvalds of Linux Operating System Linus Torvalds originally used the Minix OS on his system which he replaced by his OS. Hence the working name was Linux (Linus' Minix). He thought the name to be too egotistical and planned to name it Freax (free + freak + x). His friend Ari Lemmk encouraged Linus to upload it to a network so it could be easily downloaded. Ari gave Linus a directory called linux on his FTP server, as he did not like the name Freax. (Linus' parents named him after two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling)
12) Steve Woznaik(sitting) and Steve Jobs of APPLE Computers Favorite fruit of founder Steve Jobs. He was three months late in filing a name for the business, and he threatened to call his company Apple Computers if the other colleagues didn't suggest a better name by 5 o'clock.
(Paper Submitted By : Nagaraj)