Hi Friends My name is Harish and I attended HCL technologies Pooled recruitment process for HCL on 5th September at Nagarjuna Engineering College Bangalore.
There was 3 rounds for the process.
1. Computer Based Aptitude Test (AMCAT)
2. Group Discussion
NB:Those guys who had offer letter from T1 companies, directly attend HR after they cleared AMCAT
First of all Let me say, HCL is the easiest process of all the MNC process. HCL HR people are really really nice and there is no need to be tensed in any stage of the recruitment process.AMCAT
This is the Computer based aptitude test which is conducted by aspiring minds. If you get a good score in this test you will be selected directly to the second round for the companies who are the clients of aspiring minds. This is the toughest part for the whole selection process. The only way to cross this line is by hard work. You have to prepare really well and the rest of the part will be done by god. I will explain about the test in detail. The test for HCL had 4 sections
1. Verbal Ability (25 questions 30 Mins)
2. Quantitative Aptitude(25 questions 35 mins)
3. Logical reasoning(25 questions 35 Mins)
4. Technical Comprehension(8 questions 8 Mins)
Verbal ability was an easy part. If possible go through GRE barrons that will help you in all recruitment process. Synonyms Antonyms, grammatical errors detection, comprehension etc was there. More or less easy
Quantitative Aptitude was a bit difficult for me, only because it concentrated more on problems on numbers, surds and Indices and i skipped those portions and concentrated more on trains, work, time and distance, average ratio and all. If you are going for the test, make sure that you are going through all these portions because the questions are chosen random from the database and will depend on how much luck you have on the given day. So make sure that you have gone through all the portions. There is no substitute for hard work. And R.S Aggarwal will surely help you a lot.
Logical reasoning was also an easy part, just some family tree problems and puzzles.
Technical comprehension consisted of 2 paragraphs with 8 questions. You will surely be able to answer this if you have basic computer knowledge. Mine was something about a linux and a virus.
After the test I was really disappointed because i thought I totally screwd up the quantitative part. But still I prayed. on Friday 8th october, I got the mail that I had cleared the test and my interview was scheduled on 11th Monday at the same college. The next stage was GD.Group Discussion:
The group discussion was meant to be a technical group discussion, but as i told earlier, the HCL HR was really kind and sweet that he gave us the choice, whether we wanted a technical GD or a general GD, and we opted for a general GD. The topic was " Whether all the rounds were required for the Recruitment process" , an easy topic because we all knew what the process was and could talk a lot about it.Tips for GD:
1. If Possible, start the GD. And before you start, tell something like" With everyones permission, I am starting our discussion" etc.
2. You should be loud and clear.
3. Never get into an argument. If somebody interrupts you, stop and listen and then complete your point of view.
4. If you have any points in the middle, raise your hand and ask something like " Shall i have my view on this" or " I feel I have to put in a point here". Never go to mute in a discussion for long, you should be involved, bus also make sure that you listen to every word that others are saying. To succeed in GD you have to talk as well as listen.
5. Take control of the situation and think like you are conducting a debate, put across questions to your group, like if you were in this position, what would you have done so that the HR comes to know that you have the qualities of a leader too.
6. When HR comes and Explains the topic, make good eye contact with him and during discussion, never look at the HR, but look at all the members of your group. You should be able to do this when you are talking
7. And last but not least, Conclude the discussions with whatever points that were put across, in a short and crisp way.
The GD results came and out of 12 members, 5 of us were selected. If you pass the GD then you are 99% Placed in HCLHR
I cannot call this section as an interview, just because it was less than two minutes. I went inside, HR asked me for my resume. He then asked whether I had a problem in relocation. Then explained me about the package that HCL are offering and asked whether i am ok with that. Then he also mentioned about an 18 month bond we have to sign for joining the company. Then he gave me a paper with these things written on it and asked me to sign it. He then told me that we will be getting a mail and told me that I can leave.
Out of 1200 odd students who took AMCAT, 275 were shortlisted for GD, and from that 89 attended HR. I think most probably 89 of them will be placed in HCL.
That is it guys, Hard work and prayers are needed for you to get into any company. Please Work on your aptitude and you have to practice it. There is no other way for doing that.
I am now waiting for the conformation mail from HCL. Hope you guys find my experience useful and do pray for me.