General knowledge Questions and Answers from General Science Biolog
1. A baby blue whale drinks this many liters of milk per day:
2. For what is the Jurassic period named?
a mountain range in Switzerland
a kind of dinosaur
a soccer hero
the French word for "day"
3. Which blood group is called the "universal donor"?
4. Which of these is not a kind of plant?
An abacus is an instrument for performing calculations by sliding counters along rods or in grooves.
5. A banana plant fits into which of these groups?
6. From what plant was paper originally made?
The ancient Egyptians made a parchmentlike paper, also called papyrus, from the pith, or inner portion, of the stalk of the papyrus plant.
7. Which of these is not a dehiscent plant?
The fruit of a dehiscent plant splits open when it is ripe to disperse seeds. Examples are peas, beans, peanuts, and magnolias. Technically, a banana is an herb.
8. How much blood is in the human body?
The average human carries about 192.7 ounces (5.7 liters) of blood. Altogether, this quantity of blood circulates through the body twice a minute.
9. How many facial muscles are involved in speaking?
About 70 muscles are involved in speaking. These are located in several parts of the head, neck, and mouth.
10. How many taste buds do young people have?
11. How many basic tastes can humans sense?
Humans can sense five basic tastes: salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami (representing chemicals known as amino acids).
12. What is the word for a person with very pale skin and eyes?
13. What sensory function do the ears provide other than hearing?
14. Which of these joints is not found in the human body?
mortise and tenon
ball and socket
15. How many sweat glands does the average person have?
16. Which of these is not part of the endocrine system?
17. What scientist has popularized the concept of biodiversity?
Stephen Jay Gould
18. The author of On the Origin of Species is:
19. Which group of animals is Charles Darwin best known for studying?
20. Which of the following is a poisonous fish?
Lion fish are noted for their venomous fin spines, which are capable of producing painful, though rarely fatal, puncture wounds.
21. Which of the following is a member of the whale family?
22. What is the study of animal life called?
23. In science, what is the name for the classification of plants and animals?
24. How many sets of legs does a shrimp have?
25. Process of cell division can take place by
None of these