CAT Quantitative Aptitude Questions for practice
Directions for questions 1 to 5 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
I. The ratio of people doing all 3 activities to people doing atleast 2 activities is 1 : 6.
II. The ratio of people doing only one activity to people doing atleast 2 activities is 3 : 2
III. Number of people doing only CAT/MBA exceeds number of people doing GRE/MS only by 990.
IV. Number of people doing only GRE/MS exceeds number of people seeking jobs only by 360.
1. Number of people doing all 3 activities is :
4] Cannot be determined
2. Number of people doing no more than on activity is :
3. Number of people doing exactly two activities is :
4. The number of people not doing any activity is :
4] Data Insufficient
5. The number of people who are both seeking employment and trying for GRN/MS is :
Explanatory Answers :
For answers to questions 1 to 5 :
Let the different sections be represented by the variables.
1. p : (x + y + z + p) = 1 : 6
2. (a + b + c) : (x + y + z + p) = 3 : 2
∴ (a + b + c) : p : (x + y + z + p) = 9 : 1 : 6
Since P = 1
x + y + z + p 6
Since P = 1
x + y + z 5
∴ (a + b + c) : (x + y + z) : p = 9 : 5 : 1 ------ (I)
Again, the total of all areas is :
(a + b + c) + 2 (x + y + z) + 3p = 6810 + 7070 + 8120
(a + b + c) + 2 (x + y + z) + 3p = 22000
9p + 2(5p) + 3p = 22p = 22000
∴ p = 1000
x + y + z = 5000 } (II)
a + b + c = 9000
c - b = 990
b - a = 360
a = 2430
b = 2790
c = 3780
p = people doing all 3 activities = 1000
a + b + c = people doing exactly 1 activity = 9000
x + y + z = people doing exactly 2 activities = 5000
people not doing any activity = EU - (1000 + 9000 + 5000)
= 15760 - 15000 = 760
x, y, z cannot be determined without additional data.
1-  2- 3- 4- 5-
Directions for questions 6 to 9 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
Palaash never knew he would be in such trouble. He has to sing in seven different languages. The Assamese song would be a hit if and only if it is preceded by a Telugu song. Konkani song would be a hit only if a Hindi song came before it. English has to be preceded by Hindi and Punjabi is the last song he sings. There is one song between English and Punjabi and of the three only two were hit. Konkani song is a failure. Tamil is the seventh language. If the Assamese song is a hit and his first song was Telugu then:
6. Which song did he sing after English?
7. Which song did he sing after Konkani?
8. If each hit had two points in the Grammy awards, then how many points did Palaash get?
4] Can't say
9. What were the total number of assured hit songs as per the question?
Explanatory Answers :
For answers to questions 6 to 9 :
From the clues we can see Telugu is the first song, while Punjabi is the last song. Assamese would be second followed by Konkani, Hindi and English. Thus Tamil, the seventh language would be the sixth song. In terms of points there is no information regarding whether Telugu and Hindi songs were a hit or not. Thus we can't say. But regarding the number of assured hits as per the question it would be Assamese, and two songs out of English, Tamil and Punjabi. Thus the answers are
6-  7- 8- 9-
Directions for questions 10 to 14 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
A six digit (with no digit repeated) number is such that every alternate digit is a prime number. The difference between the digit on the tens place and the digit on the thousands place is the digit on the lakh place. The units digit is the product of the digit on the lakh place and the digit on the ten-thousands place, which is also a prime number. Also tens place digit is greater than the thousandth place digit.
10. The digit on the lakh place is :
11. The digit on the units place is :
12. The positive difference of the the digit on the ten-thousandth place and the the ten's place is :
13. The digit on the hundred's place is :
14. The number is divisible by :
4] Both  and 
For answers to questions 10 to 14 :
As the unit digit is not a prime number, thus the lakh digit, the thousands digit and the ten's digit will be a prime number.
As the lakh digit is the difference of two prime numbers and still is a prime number, it is 2. Also the digits on the thousandth and the ten's place can be either 3 and 5 or 5 and 7. As the unit digit is the product of the digit on the lakh place and the digit on the ten-thousandth 7 (as 5 x 2 = 10, 7 x 2 = 14). Thus it has to be 3. Therefore we see that the digit on the thousandth place is 5 and that on the ten's place is 7. We don't know anything about the digit on the hundredth place. Therefore the number is 235 x 76
Thus the answer are :
10-  11- 12- 13- 14-
Directions for questions 15 to 19 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
In a gathering of 8 people, A, B, C and D are Software professionals and P, Q, R and S are Hardware professionals. Each person shows atleast one of the following features viz. HK, JM, GS and CP.
HW : Hardware professional SW : Software Professional
HK : Has Kids JM : Just Married
GS : Has grand sons CP : One of the Couples
A 'CP' may be JM (and vice versa) but definitely not HK or GS.
A GS can not be JM.
Neither JM nor CP can be HK or GS.
GS implies HK but the reverse need not be true.
P, Q, R, D and S hav only one feature where as others show atleast 1.
A is JM, where as one of C and D is both CP and JM.
B is GS but D and A are not HK.
D and Q always show the same feature.
R is JM and S is HK.
The 4 features are shown by atleast one of the SW or HW.
No professional can show more than two features.
15. How many professionals are definitely not HK?
4] 5 or 6
16. A does not show all of the features except :
3] Data insufficient
4] None of these
17. If A does not show CP then Q does show :
4] Data insufficient
18. P can show all of the following except :
19. If P is the only HW who is a CP then which of the following is definitely true?
I. A does not show CP
II. B may show CP
III. D show JM
1] I only
2] II only
3] III only
For answers to questions 15 to 19 :
The following matrix can be formed based on the given information
15. Five professionals are definitely not HK, P may or may not be HK. Hence, .
16. Now A may or may not be CP. Hence .
17. We don't know whether Q is JM or CP. Hence, .
18. P cannot show GS. Hence, .
19. I : A may or may not show CP. Hence, I may be false.
II : B cannot show more than 2 features. Hence, II is false.
III : D should show JM as Q will show JM. Hence, III is true. Hence, .
Directions for questions 20 to 23 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
I have got two uncles, Joe and John and two aunts, Jane and Jill. While uncle Jose is not married, uncle John is married and has two sons as well. Aunt Jane is a widow and has only one daughter. My mother is the only one in the family who has a real sister while she has no brothers. My father works in the diamond factory while my paternal grandparents live with us. We are a joint family. Then :
20. How many members are there in our family?
21. How many cousin sisters do I have?
22. Who is married to Uncle John?
3] None of these
4] Can't Say
23. How many children do my paternal grandparents have?
For answers to questions 20 to 23 :
The family heirarchy will be like this :
20. 12 members in the family. Hence, .
21. Only one cousin sister. Hence, .
22. Aunt Jill is married to Uncle John. Hence, .
23. 3 sons, my father, Uncle Joe and Uncle John. Hence, .
24. The total number of female members in the family is 5. Hence, .
25. The years can be calculated as:
1980 - 15 + 1 + 10 + 2 + 6 = 1984. Hence, 
Directions for questions 24 to 25 : Choose the correct alternative.
24. Mr. Gupta is Rita and Sita's father-in-law. Amit is married to Sita and has got two daughters. Rita has only one son. If Mr. Gupta has only two sons and Mrs. Gupta is alive then how many female members are there in the Gupta faimly?
25. I build a time machine in 1980. The peculiar ;thing about the time machine was that it had a range of twenty years into the future and 30 years into the past. I used the machine and went back 15 years. After spending a year in the past, I gain used it and went 10 years into the future. There I spend around two years and finally went to the future by 6 years. In which year did I land up?
Directions for questions 23 to 30 : Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
Cars and motorcycles continued to surge ahead even as "Made in India" automobiles like commercial vehicles, multi-utility vehicles, scooters, mopeds and three-wheelers failed to attract overseas buyers this fiscal. Car exports shot up by a huge 105% at 42,444 units during 2001-02 on the back of a superb performance by Ford India, which accounted for more than half of the total exports. Ford shipped 27,572 units of its mid-size car "Ikon" to countries like South Africa and Mexico. Car market leader Maruti Udyog, however, posted a 35.7% dip at 8,559 units during 2001-02. South Korea's Hyundai also witnessed a 14.5% decline in exports at 4,494 units (5250 cars last year). Car exports of Telco surged ahead by 261.6% at 1,689 cars (467 cars last year) while that of General Motors slipped to 40 cars year-on-year from 69 units. In sharp contrast to passenger car segment, commercial vehicle exports slumped by 19.9% at 9,683 units. While medium and heavy (M&H) vehicles exports went down by 18.2% to 3,891 units, that of light commercial vehicles (LCVs) declined by 22.3% at 5,792 units. Telco's M&H exports fell by 24.4% to 2,118 units while LCVs dipped by 36.2% to 4,036 vehicles during 2001-02. Ashok Leyland, India's second largest commercial vehicle marker, reported a 6.7% land 4.8% drop in M&H and LCV exports at 1,725 units and 98 units respectively. However, exports of LCV markers like Eicher, Swaraj Mazda and Mahindra & Mahindra rose by 61.6%, 56.5% and 68.2% at 1,062, 321 and 274 units respectively. Two-wheeler exports went down by 9.2% to 91,731 units as scooter and moped exports declined by 15.7% and 41.7% at 19,369 units and 22,801 unit5s respectively. Howeer, exports of motorcycles recorded a 13% rise at 17,490 units while tha tof Bajaj Auto rose by 158% to 15,951 units. Hero Honda posted a 29.4% rise at 11,833 units. Exports of TVS Motors dipped by 13.7% to 2,273 units while Royal Enfield saw a rise of 63.6% to 1,357 units. Scooter markers like Bajaj and TVS posted a 31.5% and 137% jump in exports at 7,996 and 897 units respectively while LML and Kinetic exports dipped by 27.8% and 57.5% to 6,709 and 3,702 units.
26. If only 5 companies, Ford, Maruti Udyog, Hyundai, Telco and General Motors exported cars in 2000-01, how many cars did Ford export in 2000-01?
27. By how much were the total vehicle exports by Telco in 2001-02, higher or lower than those in 2000-01? (Telco manufactures only cars and commercial vehicles)
1] 18.3% lower
2] 15% lower
3] 12% higher
4] almost same
28. What were the total vehicle exports in 2000-01?
29. If the average export realization of motorcycles has reduced from Rs.45,000 per unit in 2000-01 to Rs.40,000 per unit in 2001-02, what is the change in export volumes?
1] Rs.218 million increase
2] Rs.218 crore increase
3] Rs.2.18 billion increase
4] Rs.2180 million increase
30. If the average export realization per car for Maruti Udyog has increased by 40%, then what is the percentage change in car exports for Maruti in value terms?
1] 10% increase
2] 10% decrease
3] 5% decrease
4] 5% Increase
26. Total car exports in 2000-01 = (1 + 1.05) = 20704
Car exports by Maruti in 2000-01 = 8559 = 8559/0.643 = 13311
(1 - 0.357)
Car exports by Hyundai in 2000-01 = 5250
Car exports by Telco in 2000-01 = 467
Car exports by General Motors in 2000-01 = 69
Therefore, car exports by Ford in 2000-01 = 20704 - 13311 - 5250 - 467 - 69 = 1607 units. Hence, .
27. Number of vehicles exported by Telco in 2001-02 = 1689 + 2118 + 4036 = 7843
Car exported by Telco in 2000-01 = 467
Multi-utility vehicles exported by Telco in 2000-01 = 2118 = approx. 2118/0.756 = 2802
LCVs exported by Telco in 2000-01 = 4036 = approximately 4036 = 6326
Total vehicle exports by Telco in 2001-01 = 467 + 2802 + 6326 = 9595
Therefore, ratio of Telco's exports in 2001-02 to those in 2000-01 = 7843 = approximately 7845 = 0.817 = 81.7%
Therefore, Telco's exports in 2001-02 were 18.3% lower. Hence, .
28. Car exports in 2000-01 = 20704
M&H vehicle exports in 200-01 = 3891 ≈ 3900/0.82 = 4756
LCV exports in 2000-01 = 5792 = 7454
Two-wheeler exports in 2000-01 = 91731 = 101025
Therefore, total vehicle exports in 2000-01 = 20704 + 4757 + 7454 + 101025 = 133939. Hence, .
29. Motorcycle export value in 2001-02 = 49561 × 4000 = 1982440000 or Rs.1982.44 million
Motorcycle exports in 2000-01 = 49561 ≈ 49000/1.25 = 39,200
Motorcycle exports value in 2000-01 = 39200 × 45000 = 1764000000 or Rs.1764 million
Therefore, motorcycle exports have increased by (1982-1764) = Rs.218 million. Hence .
30. Let x units be exported by Maruti Udyog for an average realization of y rupees per car in 2000-01. Therefore, exports of Maruti Udyog in 2000-01 = x × y rupees
Exports of Maruti Udyog in 2001-02 = x × (1-0.357) × y × 1.40 = 0.90 × x × y Therefore, exports of Maruti Udyog have decreased in value terms by about 10%. Hence,.
Directions for questions 31 to 35: Refer to the data below and answer the questions that follow.
Table shows Births to date and Lifetime births expected per 1,000 women for Selected Years from 1976 to 1998 (Numbers in thousands and age of women at survey date.)
Source : U.S. Census Bureau
Internet Release date : October 18, 2001
- Revised Question Papers
- New Pattern of Test
- Realtime ranking among test taker
- Unlimited access of complete test series
Freshersworld.com is the No.1 Jobsite for Freshers in India with over 1 Crore+ resumes and 60K+ recruiters hiring through us. Apply to Top MNC Jobs / Government jobs by registering now! What’s more? Get daily job alert, placement paper and GK updates every day on your email. Freshersworld.com is the only website for applying to Govt Jobs and top MNC Jobs all over India. Register Now to benefit from our unlimited fresher focused services!