QUANTITATIVE/APTITUDE TEST (35 questions, 60 minutes)
Note: 1 mark will be deducted for every 3 wrong answers
1. A Roman was born the first day of the 35th year before Christ and died the first day of the 35th year after Christ. How many years did he live?
(a) 70 (b) 69 (c) 71 (d) 72
2. A horse starts to chase a dog that has left the stable two hours earlier. The horse runs at an average speed of 2km/hr. It crosses a 10-metre road, two small ponds 3 metres deep, and finally runs along two small streets of 200 metres long. After traveling 6 hrs, 2hrs after sunset, it catches the dog. Compute the speed of the dog in Km/hr?
(a) 20 (b) 22 (c) 16.5 (d) 18.5
3. Adam sat with his friends in the Chinnaswamy stadium at Madurai to watch the 100 metres running race organized by the Asian Athletics Association. Five rounds were run. After every round half the teams were eliminated. Finally, one team wins the game. How many teams participated in the race?
(a) 30 (b) 32 (c) 41 (d) 54
4. If an airplane starts at point R and travels 14 miles directly north to S, then 48 miles directly east to T, what is the straight-line distance (in miles) from T to R?
(a) 25 (b) 34 (c) 50 (d) 2500
5. A scientist was researching into animal behavior in his laboratory. He was very interested in studying the behavior of bears. He travelled a mile to the north and reached the north pole. There he saw a bear. He then followed the bear for an 1 hour to the east with a speed of 2km/hr. After that he travelled south and reached his laboratory in 2 hours. What was the colour of the bear?
(a) Black (b) White (c) Red (d) Blue
6. A garrison of 3300 men has provisions for 32 days when supplied at the rate of 850 g per head. At the end of 7 days, a reinforcement arrives, and it is found that the provisions can last for 17 days more when supplied at the rate of 825 g per head. What is the strength of the reinforcement?
(a) 1700 (b) 1000 (c) 3000 (d) 2700
7. Two unemployed young men decided to start a business together. They pooled in their savings, which came to Rs. 2,000. They were both lucky, their business prospered and they were able to increase their capital by 50 per cent every three years. How much did they have in all at the end of eighteen years?
(a) Rs. 22,781.25 (b) Rs. 24,150.25 (c) Rs. 28,140.50 (d) Rs. 18,000
8. A man divides Rs.8600 among 5 sons, 4 daughters and 2 nephews. If each daughter receives four times as much as each nephew, and each son receives five times as much as each nephew, how much does each daughter receive?
(a) Rs.800 (b) Rs.600 (c) Rs.200 (d) Rs.700
9. A train starts full of passengers. At the first station, it drops one-third of the passengers and takes 280 more. At the second station, it drops one-half of the new total and takes 12 more. On arriving at the third station, it is found to have 248 passengers. Find the number of passengers in the beginning.
(a) 240 (b) 248 (c) 280 (d) 288
10. A manufacturer undertakes to supply 2000 pieces of a particular component at Rs.25 per piece. According to his estimates, even if 5% fail to pass the quality tests, then he will make a profit of 25%. However, as it turned out, 50% of the components were rejected. What is the loss to the manufacturer?
(a) Rs.12000 (b) Rs.13000 (c) Rs.14000 (d) Rs.15000
11. In Tnagar many buildings were under residential category.for buildings they number as 1 to 100. For shops, corporation numbered between 150 and 200 only prime numbers. how many time 6 will appear in building numbering?
(a) 10 (b) 20 (c) 8 (d) 19
12. 6 persons standing in queue with different age group, after two years their average age will be 43 and seventh person joined with them. hence the current average age has become 45. find the age of seventh person?
(a) 69 (b) 70 (c) 40 (d) 45
13. 3, 22 , 7, 45, 15, ? , 31
(a) 45 (b) 90 (c) 91 (d) 3514. Which is the smallest no divides 2880 and gives a perfect square?
a.1 b.2 c.5 d.6
15. One grandfather has three grandchildren, two of their age difference is 3, eldest child age is 3 times youngest childs age and eldest childs age is two times of sum of other two children. What is the age of eldest child?
(a) 5 (8) 10 (c) 8 (d) 15
16. It is dark in my bedroom and I want to get two socks of the same color from my drawer, which contains 24 red and 24 blue socks. How many socks do I have to take from the drawer to get at least two socks of the same color?
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 48 (d) 25
17. 23 people are there, they are shaking hands together, how many hand shakes possible, if they are in pair of cyclic sequence.
(a) 22 (b) 23 (c) 44 (d) 46
18. There are 10 reading spots in a room. Each reading spot has a round table. Each round table has 4 chair. If different no of persons are sitting at each reading spot. And if there are 10 persons inside the room then how many reading spots donot have atleast a single reader.
(1) 5 (2) 6 (3) 7 (4) None
19. Middle earth is a fictional land inhabited by Hobbits, Elves, dwarves and men. The Hobbits and the Elves are peaceful creatures who prefer slow, silent lives and appreciate nature and art. The dwarves and the men engage in physical games. The game is as follows . A tournol is one where out of the two teams that play a match, the one that loses get eliminated. The matches are played in different rounds where in every round , half of the teams get eliminated from the tournament. If there are 8 rounds played in a knock-out tournol how many matches were played?
a) 257 (b) 256 (c) 72 (d) 255
20. There are two water tanks A and B, A is much smaller than B. While water fills at the rate of one litre every hour in A, it gets filled up like 10, 20, 40, 80, 160... in tank B.( At the end of first hour, B has 10 litres , second hour it has 20, and so on). If tank B is 1/32 filled after 21 hours, what is the total duration required to fill it completely?
a) 26 hrs (b) 25 hrs (c) 5 hrs (d) 27 hrs
21. A man jogs at 6 mph over a certain journey and walks over the same route at 4 mph. What is his average speed for the journey?
a) 2.4 mph (b) 4 mph (c) 4.8 mph (d) 5 mph
22. A pizza shop, there were 2 kinds of pizzas available. But now they have introduces 8 new types, a person buy two different type pizzas of new type in how many ways he can select?
(a) 24 (b) 43 (c) 56 (d) 58
23. A box of 150 packets consists of 1kg packets and 2kg packets. Total weight of box is 264kg. How many 2kg packets are there?
(a) 100 (b) 114 (c) 200 (d) 208
24. A man, a woman, and a child can do a piece of work in 6 days. Man only can do it in 24 days. Woman can do it in 16 days and in how many days child can do the same work?
(a) 8 (b) 14 (c) 16 (d) 18
25. A bus started from bus stand at 8.00a m and after 30 min staying at destination, it returned back to the bus stand. The destination is 27 miles from the bus stand. The speed of the bus 50 percent fast speed. At what time it returns to the bus stand.
(a) 11a.m (b) 12a.m (c) 10a.m (d) 10.30p.m
26. 2 oranges, 3 bananas and 4 apples cost Rs.15. 3 oranges, 2 bananas, and 1 apple costs Rs 10. What is the cost of 3 oranges, 3 bananas and 3 apples?
(a) Rs10 (b) Rs15 (c) Rs20 (d) Rs25
27. If on an item a company gives 25% discount, they earn 25% profit. If they now give 10% discount then what is the profit percentage.
(a) 40% (b) 55% (c) 35% (d) 30%
28. Two trains move in the same direction at 50 kmph and 32 kmph respectively. A man in the slower train observes the 15 seconds elapse before the faster train completely passes by him. What is the length of faster train?
(a) 100m (b) 75m (c) 120m (d) 50m
29. A man spends half of his salary on household expenses, 1/4th for rent, 1/5th for travel expenses, the man deposits the rest in a bank. If his monthly deposits in the bank amount 50, what is his monthly salary?
(a) Rs.500 (b) Rs.1500 (c) Rs.1000 (d) Rs. 900
30. It was Sunday on Jan 1, 2006. What was the day of the week Jan 1, 2010
(a) Sunday (b) Saturday (c) Friday (d) Wednesday
31. In how many different ways can the letters of the word 'LEADING' be arranged in such a way that the vowels always come together?
(a) 360 (b) 480 (c) 720 (d) 5040
32. The captain of a cricket team of 11 members is 26 years old and the wicket keeper is 3 years older. If the ages of these two are excluded, the average age of the remaining players is one year less than the average age of the whole team. What is the average age of the team?
(a) 23 years (b) 24 years (c) 25 years (d) None of these
33. Six bells commence tolling together and toll at intervals of 2, 4, 6, 8 10 and 12 seconds respectively. In 30 minutes, how many times do they toll together ?
(a) 4 (b) 10 (c) 15 (d) 16
34. The difference of two numbers is 1365. On dividing the larger number by the smaller, we get 6 as quotient and the 15 as remainder. What is the smaller number?
(a) 240 (b) 270 (c) 295 (d) 360
35. In a flight of 600 km, an aircraft was slowed down due to bad weather. Its average speed for the trip was reduced by 200 km/hr and the time of flight increased by 30 minutes. The duration of the flight is:
(a) 1 hour (b) 2 hours (c) 3 hours (d) 4 hours