TCS New Questions 2013-2014 TCS New Pattern of Questions from Openseesame
1. If 3y + x > 2 and x + 2y≤3, What can be said about the value of y?
A. y = -1
B. y >-1
C. y <-1
D. y = 1
Multiply the second equation with -1 then it will become - x - 2y≥ - 3. Add the equations. You will get y > -1.
2. If the price of an item is decreased by 10% and then increased by 10%, the net effect on the price of the item is
A. A decrease of 99%
B. No change
C. A decrease of 1%
D. An increase of 1%
If a certain number is increased by x% then decreased by x% or vice versa, the net change is always decrease. This change is given by a simple formula −(x/10)2= −(10/10)2= −1%. Negitive sign indicates decrease.
3. If m is an odd integer and n an even integer, which of the following is definitely odd?
D. m +n
Answer: C and D (Original Answer given as D)
You just remember the following odd ± odd = even; even ± even = even; even ± odd = odd
Also odd x odd = odd; even x even = even; even x odd = even.
4. What is the sum of all even integers between 99 and 301?
The first even number after 99 is 100 and last even number below 301 is 300. We have to find the sum of even numbers from 100 to 300. i.e., 100 + 102 + 104 + ............... 300.
Take 2 Common. 2 x ( 50 + 51 + ...........150)
There are total 101 terms in this series. So formula for the sum of n terms when first term and last term is known is n/2(a+l)
So 50 + 51 + ...........150 = 1012(50+150)
So 2 x 101/2(50+150) = 20200
5. There are 20 balls which are red, blue or green. If 7 balls are green and the sum of red balls and green balls is less than 13, at most how many red balls are there?
Given R + B + G = 17; G = 7; and R + G < 13. Substituting G = 7 in the last equation, We get R < 6. So maximum value of R = 6
6. If n is the sum of two consecutive odd integers and less than 100, what is greatest possibility of n?
Answer : C
We take two odd numbers as (2n + 1) and (2n - 1).
Their sum should be less than 100. So (2n + 1) + (2n - 1) < 100 ⇒ 4n < 100.
The largest 4 multiple which is less than 100 is 96
7. x2 < 1/100, and x < 0 what is the highest range in which x can lie?
A. -1/10 < x < 0
B. -1 < x < 0
C. -1/10 < x < 1/10
D. -1/10 < x
8. There are 4 boxes colored red, yellow, green and blue. If 2 boxes are selected, how many combinations are there for at least one green box or one red box to be selected?
B . 6
Total ways of selecting two boxes out of 4 is 4C2 = 6. Now, the number of ways of selecting two boxes where none of the green or red box included is only 1 way. (we select yellow and blue in only one way). If we substract this number from total ways we get 5 ways.
9. All faces of a cube with an eight - meter edge are painted red. If the cube is cut into smaller cubes with a two - meter edge, how many of the two meter cubes have paint on exactly one face?
Answer : A
If there are n cubes lie on an edge, then total number of cubes with one side painting is given by 6×(n−2)2. Here side of the bigger cube is 8, and small cube is 2. So there are 4 cubes lie on an edge. Hence answer = 24
10. Two cyclists begin training on an oval racecourse at the same time. The professional cyclist completes each lap in 4 minutes; the novice takes 6 minutes to complete each lap. How many minutes after the start will both cyclists pass at exactly the same spot where they began to cycle?
The faster cyclyst comes to the starting point for every 4 min so his times are 4, 8, 12, ......... The slower cyclist comes to the starting point for every 6 min so his times are 6, 12, 18, ......... So both comes at the end of the 12th min.
11 Tim and Elan are 90 km from each other.they start to move each other simultanously tim at speed 10 and elan 5 kmph. If every hour they double their speed what is the distance that Tim will pass until he meet Elan
12 . A father purchases dress for his three daughter. The dresses are of same color but of different size .the dress is kept in dark room .What is the probability that all the three will not choose their own dress.
13 . N is an integer and N>2, at most how many integers among N + 2, N + 3, N + 4, N + 5, N + 6, and N + 7 are prime integers?
14 A turtle is crossing a field. What is the total distance (in meters) passed by turtle? Consider the following two statements
(X) The average speed of the turtle is 2 meters per minute
(Y) Had the turtle walked 1 meter per minute faster than his average speed it would have finished 40 minutes earlier
A. Statement X alone is enough to get the answer
B. Both statements X and Y are needed to get the answer
C. Statement Y alone is enough to get the answer
D. Data inadequate
15 . Given the following information, who is youngest?
C is younger than A; A is talled than B
C is older than B; C is younger than D
B is taller than C; A is older than D
16 Find the number of rectangles from the adjoining figure (A square is also considered a rectangle)
17 A, B, C and D go for a picnic. When A stands on a weighing machine, B also climbs on, and the weight shown was 132 kg. When B stands, C also climbs on, and the machine shows 130 kg. Similarly the weight of C and D is found as 102 kg and that of B and D is 116 kg. What is D's weight
B. 78 kg
C. 44 kg
Answer : C
Given A + B = 132; B + C = 130; C + D = 102, B + D = 116
Eliminate B from 2nd and 4th equation and solving this equation and 3rd we get D value as 44.
18 Mr and Mrs Smith have invited 9 of their friends and their spouses for a party at the Waikiki Beach resort. They stand for a group photograph. If Mr Smith never stands next to Mrs Smith (as he says they are always together otherwise). How many ways the group can be arranged in a row for the photograph?
B. 19! + 18!
C. 18 x 19!
D. 2 x 19!
19 Roy is now 4 years older than Erik and half of that amount older than Iris. If in 2 years, roy will be twice as old as Erik, then in 2 years what would be Roy's age multiplied by Iris's age?
20 X, Y, X and W are integers. The expression X - Y - Z is even and the expression Y - Z - W is odd. If X is even what must be true?
A. W must be odd
B. Y - Z must be odd
C. W must be odd
D. Z must be odd
Answer: A or C (But go for C)