Heavy Water Board Trainees - Model Question Paper
General Awareness :
1. Which of the following pairs is incorrectly matched?
(a) Encephalitis Brain
(b) Colitis Colon
(c) Hepatitis Liver
(d) Jaundice Throat
2. Which of the following, types of clothes is manufactured by using petroleum product?
(a) Rayon silk
3. The function of hemoglobin in body is
(a) Transport of oxygen.
(b) Destruction of bacteria
(c) Prevention of anaemia
(d) Utilization of iron
4. Which disease is more common among agricultural workers as compared to urban population?
(a) Lungs disease
(b) Cirrhosis of liver
(c) Hookworm infection
5. Biological fixation of nitrogen occurs most commonly in which of the following crops?
(d) None of these
6. Which one of the following grows under the tree?
(b) Bengal gram
7. Which of the following is an example of a plant which bears seeds but no fruits?
(a) Cotton plant
(b) Peepal plant
(c) Eucalyptus tree
(d) Pine tree
8. Radioactive element which has been found to have large reserves in India is
9. The image formed on the retina of a human eye is
(a) Real and upright
(b) Real and inverted
(c) Imaginary and upright
(d) Imaginary and inverted
10. In increasing sequence, the major elements, present in the human body are
(a) Calcium, iron, sodium, phosphorus
(b) Calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur
(c) Calcium, iron, sodium, sulphur
(d) Calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron
11. A light sensitive compound used in photography is
(a) Silver chloride
(b) Silver sulphide
(c) Silver bromide
(d) Silver oxide
12. Protective foods in our diet are?
(a) fats and vitamins
(b carbohydrates and minerals
(c) vitamins .and minerals
(d) proteins and carbohydrates
13. The ancient name of Bengal was
14. Ahilyabai was the queen of?
15. Moorish traveller, Ibn Batutah, came to India during the time of -
(a) Alauddin Khilji
(b) Firoz Shah Tughlaq
(d) Muhammed Bin Tughlaq
16. The main occupation of Harappan civilization was
(b) cattle rearing
17. The Mahabalipuram temples were built by the King of dynasty?
18. The first telegraph line between Calcutta and Agra was opened in
19. The first discourse of Buddha in Sarnath is called
20. The political and cultural centre of the Pandyas was
21. What is the correct chronological order in which the following invaded India?
(a) 4, 3, 2, 1
(b) 3, 4, 2, 1
(c) 4, 2, 3, 1
(d) 3, 4, 1, 2
22. Who wrote Mitakshara, a book on Hindu law?
23. Gupta empire declined in the fifth century A.D. as a consequence of
(a) Chalukya raids
(b) Greek invasion
(c) Hun invasion
(d) Pallava raids
24. Who founded the Hindu Shah dynasty of Punjab?
25. The main external threat to the Sultanate of Delhi was posed by the
(d) None of these
26. Who among the following was a Leading exponent of Gandhian thoughts?
(a) J. L. Nehru
(b) M.N. Roy
(c) Vinoba Bhave
(d) Jai Prakash Narayan.
27. Who were the immediate successors of the Imperial Mauryas in Maghádha?
28. Both Mahavira and Buddha preached during the reign of
29. Jahangir Mahal is located in
(b) Fatehpur Sikri
(c) Agra Fort
30. The percentage of glucose present in normal urine is
31. The magnetic effect of electric current was first observed by
32. Of the total water on the earth, fresh water reserves constitute approximately
33. The black hole theory was discovered by
(a) S. Chandrasekhar
(b) Har Govind Khurana
(c) C.V. Raman
(d) S. Ramanujam
34. The main contribution of Chola dynasty in the field of administration lies in
(a) systematic provincial administration
(b) a well planned revenue system
(c) a well organized central government
(d) an organized local self government
35. Who founded the philosophy of Pustimarga?
36. Which of the following-battles changed the destiny of a Mughal ruler in India?
(b) Panipat II
37. The Vedas contain all they truth; was interpreted by
(a) Swami Vivekananda
(b) Swami Dayananda
(c) Ram Mohan Rai
(d) S. Radhakrisnan
38. Match the columns
Column I Column II
A. Second battle of Panipat 1. Decline of Vijaya Nagar
B. Second battle 2. British rule in India
C. Battle of Talikota 3. Turkish rule in India
D. Battle of Plassey 4. Mughal rule in India
5. Slave dynasty in India
A B C D
(a) 2 3 4 1
(b) 3 1 2 4
(c) 5 3 2 1
(d) 4 3 1 2
39. Babar entered India for the first time from the west through
40. Which was first among the following?
(â) Doctrine of Lapse
(b) Subsidiary Alliance
(c) Permanent Settlement
(d) Double Government
41. The name of Lord Cornwallis is associated with the
(a) Dual government
(b) Maratha wars
(c) System of subsidiary alliances
(d) Permanent settlement
42. Sir Charles Woods Dispatch of 1854 dealt with
(a) administrative reforms
(b) social reforms
(c) economic reforms
(d) educational reforms
43. The sea route to India was discovered by the
44. Which of the following pairs is correct?
(a) Ashvaghosa Vikramaditya
(b) Banabhatta Harshavardhana
(c) Harisena Kanishka
(d) Kalidasa Samudragupta
45. 4th July, 1776 is important in world history because of
(a) Battle of Plassey
(b) Sea route to India was discovered
(c) English King Charles II was executed
(d) American Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence
46. Rowlatt Act was passed in the year
47. Communal electorate in India was introduced through which of the following acts?
(d) None of these
48. Abhinav Bharat was organized by
(a) Bhai Parmanand
(b) Khudiram Bose
(c) Vir Savarkar
(d) None of these
49. On 22nd December which of the following places has the largest day and shortest night?
50. High pressure subtropical calm belts known as Horse Latitudes lie between
(a) 0° and 15°
(b) 20° and 25°
(c) 30° and 35°
(d) none of these
1. It was calculated that 75 men could complete a piece of work in 20 days. When work was scheduled to commence, it was found necessary to send 25 men to another project. How much longer will it take to complete the work?
2. A student divided a number by 2/3 when he required to multiply by 3/2. Calculate the percentage of error in his result.
3. A dishonest shopkeeper professes to sell pulses at the cost price, but he uses a false weight of 950gm. for a kg. His gain is %.
4. A software engineer has the capability of thinking 100 lines of code in five minutes and can type 100 lines of code in 10 minutes. He takes a break for five minutes after every ten minutes. How many lines of codes will he complete typing after an hour?
5. A man was engaged on a job for 30 days on the condition that he would get a wage of Rs. 10 for the day he works, but he have to pay a fine of Rs. 2 for each day of his absence. If he gets Rs. 216 at the end, he was absent for work for ... days.
6. A contractor agreeing to finish a work in 150 days, employed 75 men each working 8 hours daily. After 90 days, only 2/7 of the work was completed. Increasing the number of men by ________ each working now for 10 hours daily, the work can be completed in time.
7. what is a percent of b divided by b percent of a?
(a) a (b) b (c) 1 (d) 10 (d) 100
8. A man bought a horse and a cart. If he sold the horse at 10 % loss and the cart at 20 % gain, he would not lose anything; but if he sold the horse at 5% loss and the cart at 5% gain, he would lose Rs. 10 in the bargain. The amount paid by him was Rs._______for the horse and Rs.________ for the cart.
9. A tennis marker is trying to put together a team of four players for a tennis tournament out of seven available. males - a, b and c; females m, n, o and p. All players are of equal ability and there must be at least two males in the team. For a team of four, all players must be able to play with each other under the following restrictions:
b should not play with m,
c should not play with p, and
a should not play with o.
Which of the following statements must be false?
1. b and p cannot be selected together
2. c and o cannot be selected together
3. c and n cannot be selected together.
10. Five farmers have 7, 9, 11, 13 & 14 apple trees, respectively in their orchards. Last year, each of them discovered that every tree in their own orchard bore exactly the same number of apples. Further, if the third farmer gives one apple to the first, and the fifth gives three to each of the second and the fourth, they would all have exactly the same number of apples. What were the yields per tree in the orchards of the third and fourth farmers?
11. Five boys were climbing a hill. J was following H. R was just ahead of G. K was between G & H. They were climbing up in a column. Who was the second?
12-15 John is undecided which of the four novels to buy. He is considering a spy thriller, a Murder mystery, a Gothic romance and a science fiction novel. The books are written by Rothko, Gorky, Burchfield and Hopper, not necessary in that order, and published by Heron, Piegon, Blueja and sparrow, not necessary in that order.
(1) The book by Rothko is published by Sparrow.
(2) The Spy thriller is published by Heron.
(3) The science fiction novel is by Burchfield and is not published by Blueja.
(4)The Gothic romance is by Hopper.
13. Pigeon publishes ____________.
14. The novel by Gorky ________________.
15. John purchases books by the authors whose names come first and third in alphabetical
order. He does not buy the books ______.
16. On the basis of the first paragraph and statement (2), (3) and (4) only, it is possible to deduce that
1. Rothko wrote the murder mystery or the spy thriller
2. Sparrow published the murder mystery or the spy thriller
3. The book by Burchfield is published by Sparrow.
17. If a light flashes every 6 seconds, how many times will it flash in ¾ of an hour?
18. If point P is on line segment AB, then which of the following is always true?
(1) AP = PB (2) AP > PB (3) PB > AP (4) AB > AP (5) AB > AP + PB
19. All men are vertebrates. Some mammals are vertebrates. Which of the following
conclusions drawn from the above statement is correct.
(i).All men are mammals
(ii).All mammals are men
(iii).Some vertebrates are mammals.
20. Which of the following statements drawn from the given statements are correct?
Given:All watches sold in that shop are of high standard. Some of the HMT watches are soldin that shop.
a) All watches of high standard were manufactured by HMT.
b) Some of the HMT watches are of high standard.
c) None of the HMT watches is of high standard.
d) Some of the HMT watches of high standard are sold in that shop.