ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- 1991 The Birmingham Six are released
- 1960 The leaders of Germany and Israel confer for the first time
- 1942 For the first time in history, a dying patient's life is saved by penicillin
- Wings India 2020 launched in Hyderabad. Wings India 2020, the biennial civil aviation and aerospace event was launched today at Begumpet Airport in Hyderabad. The event is being organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation along with Airports Authority of India and FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry).
- Improvement of amenities under Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan in Railway Sector. Indian Railways is committed to make its railway stations and trains accessible for Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) as part of the “Sugamya Bharat Mission” or Accessible India Campaign of Government of India.
- Skill Development Centres in every district. Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship promotes the establishment of a model and aspirational skill centers known as Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) in every district in the country for imparting skill training in the districts.
- Launch of Customer Payment Portal by HIL (India) Limited. Keeping pace with Govt. of India’s vision of ‘Digital India’, HIL (India) Limited, a CPSE under the Ministry of Chemical & Fertilizers, Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals, in association with Union Bank of India, has launched Customer Payment Portal to collect the payment from its customers through various online modes for faster and smoother collection of dues.
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik declares virus pandemic a "state disaster". The state cabinet met on Friday morning and declared, the Covid-19 pandemic, a “state disaster” under the Disaster Management Provision Act 2005.
- COVID-19: Indian Embassy in US set up helplines for queries on govt travel advisory. The Indian Embassy in the US on Thursday (local time) issued two 24x7 helplines to address concerns and queries regarding the recent travel advisory issued by New Delhi which suspended all visas with some exceptions in the wake of coronavirus outbreak.
- Masks, sanitizers declared essential commodities under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955. The Centre has issued an order under the Act to declare 2 ply and 3 ply surgical masks, N95 masks, and hand sanitizers as essential commodities till June 30, 2020.
- Seven investors join SBI to put over Rs 12,000 cr into Yes Bank. Government-owned State Bank of India will be joined by private lenders ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, and Kotak Mahindra Bank as well as investors Radhakishan Damani, Rakesh Jhunjhunwala and the Azim Premji Trust in the rescue plan for Yes Bank. Prashant Kumar proposed as the new CEO.
- ARCI’s cost-effective technology can convert solar energy to industrial process heat. Scientists from the International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI),Hyderabad, an autonomous institution under the Department of Science and Technology (DST),have developed a cost-effective solar receiver tube technology for industrial process heat applications.