BHEL Exam Paper - Computer Science Question Paper
1. Which one of the following is provided by a data dictionary ?
(A) User data
(B) Functional data
(C) Database structure data
(D) Sorted data
2. Which one of the following is a direct benefit of databse normalization ?
(A) higher query processing efficiency
(B) smaller number of tables
(C) reduced I/O for most queries
(D) reduced data redundancy
3. The ability to modify the conceptual schema without causing any change to the application program is known as :
(A) Physical data independence
(B) Logical data independence
(C) External data independence
(D) Static data
4. A field or a combination of fields that has a unique value is called :
(A) Secondary key
(B) Foreign key
(C) Primary key
(D) Alternate key
5. Relational operator that yields all values from all rows in a table is known as
6. Referential integrity controls relationships between :
(A) attributes in a table
(B) operations of an object
(C) instances of a class
(D) tables in a database.
7. What will be suitable criteria that should be entered for a query to search for Employee Names beginning with M ?
(A) Start with M
(B) Like M
(C) Like M?
(D) Like M*
8. What rows will this select statement return ?
SELECT * FROM products WHERE ordernumber > = 1000
(A) All rows in the products table whose order number is greater than or equal to 1000
(B) All rows in the products table whose order number is less than or equal to 1000
(C) The first 1000 rows of the product table
(D) All rows in the products table whose order number is greater than 1000
9. A television broadcast is an example of ______transmission.
10. ______ is the protocol suite for the Internet which we use presently :
11. _______ switching is well suited for voice communication while______ switching is better suited for data and other non-voice communication.
(A) Message; circuit
(B) Circuit; message
(C) Packet; circuit
(D) Circuit; packet
12. Forty-five physical channels link________devices arranged in a mesh topology.
(A) NINE (9)
(B) TEN (10)
(C) FORTY (40)
(D) FORTY-FIVE (45)
13. The most frequently used UTP connector is _______ .
(A) category 5 connector
(B) EIA 232
14. The natural mask for class C IP address is _______ .
15. The Internet began as an experimental network called
16. Clock speed is measured in
(A) Bits per second
17. Cache memory enhances
(A) Memory capacity
(B) Memory access time
(C) Secondary storage capacity
(D) Secondary storage access time
18. A user complains that he has created a shell script myuse that will report his usage of disk space by a directory in UNIX, but when he executes the script he only receives the message : myuse : cannot execute. What is the probable cause of the error describedabove ?
(A) The file myuse contains syntax errors
(B) The file myuse cannot be located because the user has not set his PATH properly
(C) The user does not have permission to read his directory
(D) The file mode for the owner of myuse is not executable.
19. Three players A, B, C are in a race. A is twice as likely to win as B and B is twice as likely to win as C. Then the probability that B wins =
20. In following Java code snippet, what will be the output of following :
int var 1 = 5, var 2 = 7;
System.out.println(Result= + var l * var 3);
(A) Result = 35
(B) Result = 57
(C) Result = 3
21. Consider the following segment of a Java program,
int num, alpha = 10;
num = 4;
case 3 : alpha++; break;
case 4 :
case 6 : alpha = alpha + 3;
case 8 : alpha = alpha + 4; break;
default : alpha = alpha + 5;
What will the output be when the above segment is executed as a program ?
22. The region of memory sufficiently large to hold all pixels of the display is called a
(A) Frame buffer
(D) Cache Memory
23. Which of the following statements is correct regarding Bitmap images ?
(A) They are based on lines and curves
(B) They are best for real-world images like Photography and Painted pictures
(C) They have a small data size
(D) One does not need to compress the file for transferring.
24. is a process model used to show the flow of data through a system and the work or processing performed by the system :
(A) Document Flow Diagram
(B) Data Flow Diagram
(C) Entity Relationship Diagram
(D) Use Case Diagram.
25. Consider the code snippet given below :
& lt H1 & gt Hello BIT & lt H1 & gt
Which of the following is correct in relation to the above code snippet ?
(A) Hello BIT is displayed as the output with H1 font.
(B) Hello BIT ; is displayed as the output with H1 font.
(C) ; is displayed as the output with default font.
(D)Hellow BIT is displayed as the output.
26. When you are creating a structure in C/C++, you need to use the keyword
27. 54__7 = 5. Which arithmetic operator can replace the blank to make the statement correct ?
28. In C++, if a catch statement is written to catch exception objects of a base class type, it can also catch all ______ derived from that base class.
(A) Exceptions for objects
(B) Objects of classes
29. The design of classes in a way that hides the details of implementation from the user is known as :
(B) Information Hiding
(C) Data Abstraction
30. Can two classes contain member functions with the same name ?
(B) Yes, but only if the two classes have the same name
(C) Yes, but only if the main program does not declare both kinds
(D) Yes, this is always allowed.
31. What standard include file is needed to use the exit ( ) function ?
32. The processing speed of different computers is compared using :
33. Who is associated with the development of C language ?
(A) Niklaus Wirth
(B) Donald Knuth
(C) Dennis M Ritchie
(D) Charles Babbage.
34. Boolean expression for NAND gate with two inputs x and y can be written as :
(A) x y
(B) x + y
(C) x + y
(D) xy + xy
35. Twos complement of 1011.01 is :
36. A friend function can be used to :
(A) avoid arguments between classes
(B) allow access to classes whose source code is unavailable
(C) allow one class to access an unrelated class
(D) increases the versatility of an overload operator
37. In TCP, which layer is not present ?
(A) physical layer
(B) data link layer
(C) transport layer
(D) session layer
38. The digit F in Hexadecimal system is equivalent to ________ in decimal system.
39. The output of a______gate is only 1 when all of its inputs are 1 :
40. 110012100012 =
41. Which is correct :
(D) A.A = 0
42. The basic storage element in a digital system is
(A) flip flop
43. AB + AB =
44. In UNIX, which command is used to sort the lines of data in a file in reverse order
(D) sort r
45. The commonly used UNIX commands like date, ls, cat etc. are stored in
(A) /dev directory
(B) /bin directory
(C) /tmp directory
(D) /unix directory