AT&T Question Paper
1. 2ab5 is a four digit number divisible by 25. If a number formed from the two digits ab is a multiple of 13, then ab is
2. The average temperature of Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday was 37 C. The average temperature of Wednesday and Thursday and Friday was 38 C. if the temperature on Friday was 39 C.
Find the temperature on Tuesday.
d. None of the above
3. There are 5 boxes in a cargo. The weight of the 1st box is 200 KG, the weight of the 2nd box is 20% higher than the third box, whose weight is 25% higher than the 1st box weight. The 4th box which weighs 350 KG is 30% lighter than the 5th box. Find the difference in average weight of the 4 heaviest boxes and the four lightest boxes.
4. The length, breadth and height of a room are in the ratio 3:2:1. If the breadth and height are halved, while the length is doubled. Then the total area of the 4 walls of the room will be decreased by
5. A circle circumscribes three unit circles that touch each other. What is the area of the larger circle? Note that p is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle ( 3.14159265).
6. Rajesh calculated his average over the last 24 tests and found it to be 76. He finds out that the marks for three tests have been inverted by mistake. The correct marks for these tests are 87, 79 and 98. What is the approximate percentage difference between his actual average and his incorrect average?
Sol: No Change
Incorrect value is: 78, 97, 89
correct values are: 87, 79, 98
difference between correct and incorrect value is= 9 + 9 -18=0
7. Joke is faster than Paul, Joke and Paul each walk 24 KM. The sum of their speed is 7 Km per hour. And the sum of times taken by them is 14 hours. Then, Joke speed is
a. 3 KM/Hr
b. 4 KM/Hr
c. 5 KM/Hr
8. The crew of a rowing team of 8 members is to be chosen from 12 men (M1, M2, ., M12) and 8 women (W1, W2, ., W8), such that there are two rows, each row occupying one the two sides of the boat and that each side must have 4 members including at least one women. Further it is also known W1 and M7 must be selected for one of its sides while M2, M3 and M10 must be selected for other side. What is the number of ways in which rowing team can be arranged.
We need two person for one side and 1 women for the another side. We select that women in 7 ways. Now that second side people can sit in 7x4! ways.
Now for the first side we need two people from the remaining 14. So this can be done in 14C2 ways and this side people can sit in 4C2×4! ways.
Again the first group may take any of the two sides. So total ways are 2×7×4!×14C2×4!
9. A farmer has a rose garden. Every day he picks either 7,6,24 or 23 roses. When he plucks these number of flowers the next day 37,36,9 or 18 new flowers bloom. On Monday he counts 189 roses. If he continues on his plan each day, after some days what can be the number of roses left behind? (Hint : Consider number of roses remaining every day)
10. Anusha, Banu and Esha run a running race of 100 meters. Anusha is the fastest followed by Banu and then Esha. Anusha, Banu and Esha maintain constant speeds during the entire race. When Anusha reached the goal post, Banu was 10m behind. When Banu reached the goal post Esha was 10m behind. How far was behind Anusha when the latter reached the goal post.
11. Seven different objects must be divided among three persons. In how many ways this can be done if at least one of them gets exactly one object.
Sol: Division of m+n+p objects into three groups is given by (m+n+p)!m!×n!×p!
But 7 = 1 + 3 + 3 or 1 + 2 + 4 or 1 + 1 + 5
So The number of ways are (7)!1!×3!×3!×12! + (7)!1!×2!×4! + (7)!1!×1!×5!×12! = 70 + 105 + 21 = 196
12. George while driving along the highway saw road markers which are at equal distances from each other. He crosses the markers every 20 seconds. If he increases his speed by x meters per second, he crosses the markers at every 15 seconds. But if he increases his speed by y meters per second, he crosses the marker at every 10th second. If y-x = 40 meters per second, then what is the distance between two markers.
Sol: Let speed be =z m/s then Distance= 20z m
Also given that y - x = 40
solving we get 20z=1200
13. How many different 9 digit numbers can be formed from the number 223355888 by re-arranging its digits so that the odd digits occupy even position?
Sol: Odd places are 4 and these are occupied by 3355. So this can be done in 4!/ (2! 2!) = 6
There are 5 even numbers which have to be placed at 5 odd places. So 5!/(2!3!) = 10 ways
so total number of ways of arranging all these numbers are 10 * 6 = 60 ways
14. In a vessel, there are 10 litres of alcohol. An operation is defined as taking out five litres of what is present in the vessel and adding 10 litres of pure water to it. What is the ratio of alcohol to water after two operations?
a) 1 : 5
b) 2 : 3
c) 1 : 6
d) 3 : 2
15. A manufacturer of chocolates makes 6 different flavors of chocolates. The chocolates are sold in boxes of 10. How many different boxes of chocolates can be made?
16. In a single throw with two dice, find the probability that their sum is a multiple either of 3 or 4.
17. B alone can do piece of work in 10 days. A alone can do it in 15 days. If the total wages for the work is Rs 5000, how much should B be paid if they work together for the entire duration of the work?
18. On a 26 question test, 5 points were deducted for each wrong answer and 8 points were added for right answers. If all the questions were answered how many were correct if the score was zero.
19. Arun makes a popular brand of ice cream in a rectangular shaped bar 6cm long, 5cm wide and 2cm thick. To cut costs, the company had decided to reduce the volume of the bar by 19%. The thickness will remain same, but the length and width will be decreased by some percentage. The new width will be,
20. If all the numbers between 11 and 100 are written on a piece of paper. How many times will the number 4 be used?
21. If twenty four men and sixteen women work on a day, the total wages to be paid is 11,600. If twelve men and thirty seven women work on a day, the total wages to be paid remains the same. What is the wages paid to a man for a days work?
22. The cost price of a cow and a horse is Rs 3 lakhs. The cow is sold at 20% profit and the horse is sold at 10% loss. Overall gain is Rs 4200. What is the cost price of the cow?
23. 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4......
In the above sequence what is the number of the position 2888 of the sequence.
24. Five college students met at a party and exchanged gossips. Uma said, Only one of us is lying. David said, Exactly two of us are lying. Thara said, Exactly 3 of us are lying. Querishi said, Exactly 4 of us are lying. Chitra said All of us are lying. Which one was telling the truth?
25. The letters in the word ADOPTS are permuted in all possible ways and arranged in alphabetical order then find the word at position 42 in the permuted alphabetical order?