The Arunachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) is a Constitutional body constituted with effect from 1st April 1988 under Article-315 of the Constitution of India vide Notification OM-15/88 dated 29th March 1988. The Commission advice the Government of Arunachal Pradesh on all matters relating to state civil services and publish notifications inviting applications for selection to various posts as per the requisitions of the appointing authorities, conduct written tests and interview, prepare ranked list based on the performance of the candidates and advice candidates for appointing strictly based on their merit and observing the rules of reservation as and when vacancies are reported.
The Commission is presently housed in the state govt. building located near Vidhan Vihar, Itanagar.
Duties and Functions of PSC:
It shall be the duty of the Union and the State PSC to conduct examination for appointments. If requested by two or more states it shall be obligatory on the Union PSC to assist them in devising of Joint recruitment for services requiring special qualifications. The Union or State Commissions must be consulted:
1) On all matters relating to methods of recruitment to civil posts.
2) On the principles to be followed in making appointment, promotions and transfers and the suitability of candidates.
3) On disciplinary matters affecting a person in service under the Central or State Govt.
4) On any claim by such a person for the costs incurred in defending legal proceedings instituted against him in respect of acts done or purporting to be done in the execution of his duty.
5) On any claim for compensation in respect of injuries sustained by a person while serving the Govt.
In all above matters it shall be the duty of the Commission to advice. However, the President and the governors make regulations specifying the matters in which, either generally or in any particular circumstances the Commission may not be consulted (Art. 203). The functions of PSC are only advisory and the constitution has nor provision to make it obligatory upon the Govt. to act, upon the advice of the Commission in any case. Clause (4) says the Commission need not be consulted as regards the reservation of posts for Backward classes, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Art.320(4))
Consultation with the Commission on the above matters is obligatory except to the extent specified in the Arunachal Pradesh PSC (Limitation of Functions) Regulations. 1988 as amended from time to time.
Additional Functions under Art. 321:-
Additional functions may be assigned to the Union and State PSC by an act of Parliament and State Legislature (Art.321).